Do environmental factors hold a person back?Fri, Mar 17th 2006
I have been struggling with depression/anxiety/personality traits/suicidal thoughts for almost a year I have been in counseling and now been prescribed paxil I am doing so much to try and get through this but nothing really makes me feel any better. My marriage has also been a strain with finances and work problems too. I feel like everything is to much and that I can't fix any of it. I wonder if there is just to much stress around me maybe thats why I can't get better. Do you think that these environmental factors would hold a person back so much that medication and therapy won't work. How long should one stick with the therapy plan before stopping it if its not helping. I have a hard time with decisions rate now and trying to cope with all these daily stresses. Any advice please??
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.