Obsessed with the woman who is about to marry my exTue, Mar 21st 2006
I would truly appreciate your advice and input to my problem. I was married for the second time for some ten years to a man I adored and believed I would be with for the rest of my life. It came as a terrible shock that he did not feel the same way and had met someone on the internet whom he'd 'fallen in love with'. Since then we divorced, he moved to Peru to be with her and left my young daughter and I with nothing.
We have somehow managed to maintane a friendship which has been very hard for me, listening to how happy he is with this woman but for my daughters sake I say nothing.
My problem is this, I know I am obsessing about something. I cannot get on with my life and feel utterly stale yet I can't seem to change it because I'm not sure what my obsession is. I don't think its my ex as I don't want him back having discovered all of his lies, cheating etc whilst we were married and cannot trust him and to be honest, I don't even think I'm that angry with him any more. I accept that he wasn't happy with me and that he, like everyone has a right to happiness. I don't think its the man I had become close friends with through an online dating site. Although I'd hoped for the friendship to become more and I was a little hurt when he just stopped all communication, it didn't knock me over. I believe my obsession is with the woman who is about to marry my ex.
She is 15 years younger then me, a stunning looking woman who is very intelligant, sexy, ambitious, determined etc. I just don't believe she is for real. I feel very strongly that she is using my ex to get out of a third world country and into my country to further her precious career. I can't stand the thought of her being here and living off my taxes whilst she builds her wonderful life on mine and my daughters heartbreak knowing as soon as she can she will leave my ex. My reason for feeling this way is the way she set about getting my husband interested in her in the first place. It was like she was waiting for someone with the right attributes and from the right place.
I want to move on with my life. I don't want her in my every waking and sleeping thought. I don't want to feel like this anymore but I don't know how to stop. Any help would be most gratefully recieved.
Thanks so much
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.